Thursday, January 8, 2009

Transformation 2009 Challenge, Day 4 (FOR MY SON)



Where was that darn rooster this morning when I needed him to tell me to get out of bed earlier this morning. Oh don't get me wrong :) I still got up early enough to go out in my neighborhood and do a nice speed walk and a 1/2 mile run. Trying to get myself back into shape so that I can try once again to prepare for a 1/2 marathon. Darn the holidays :o) Work had me so busy and I missed many days of running. But no more excuses. Time to get out there and show why I have to run.

I ran into some bad news last week. My son of 17 years old found out last week that he may have a heart problems. He has been into sports since he was 5 years old. About 2 years ago I got him interested in track and cross country. Yeah that's right, me the guy who does not like running. But I do want too. Anyway, about two weeks ago my son told me he was having chest pains when he was running. I immediately told him not to run anymore until we see a doctor. Last week sometime I just could not find a doctor and I took him to a urgi care place just so I can get the guy to listen to his heart and run a few test. Come to find out the doctor there said is sounds like he might have a heart murmur, which is not uncommon in people. But, his blood pressure was very high and we had blood test and a chest xray done too. He also has high cholesterol. Why? I have no clue since we all eat healthy and he runs 5 miles a day. So today I'm waiting to hear back from my wifes heart doctor to see if I can get him in to see her. By the way, when my wife was born, she had three heart surgeries. I believe she told me that she was what you called a blue baby when she was born. So she has had this cardiologist ever since. Keep us in your thoughts.

I also failed to mention that when I got up my son came out of the bathroom to see what I was doing. I told him I was about to go run and you could see it in his eyes that this really bothered him. So today when I was outside running he was my power. I thought about him and what he would do if he could run today so I did it for him.

My meal plan for the day.

2 glass of water before running.

Meal 1 Protein Pancakes and 2 glasses of water
Meal 2 Protein Shake, apple and 2 glasses of water
Meal 3 Almost Fried Rice, ask me about this recipe :), 2 glasses of water
Meal 4 Protein Shake, Apple and 2 glasses of water
Meal 5 Left over 6" Chicken Breast on Wheat Subway, 2 glasses of water
Meal 6 Baked Chicken and Vegetables. 1 glass of water


3 comments:

Brandi :) said...

Correction: I had 2 heart surgeries not 3. One was at 4 months old and the other was at 1 year. You should know me better than this! :)

Terry (kettlebellguy.com) said...

I know these issues with your son are unsettling but please remember to be patient until the doctors can really determine what is going on.

I am glad that he shared the information about the pain so that you can at least become involved in finding out what is going on.

Terry

Jay said...

Wow...you have a 17 year old son? And here I was thinking you were just a kid yourself.

My thoughts are with you and your son. Look on the good side....he is finding this stuff when he is young rather than thirty years down the road when it might cause severe problems and there would be nothing he could do about it.